We’re a mac shop. Anytime we have to go back to a PC, I’m not a fan. These are notes for any future development, and if you can get use out of them: great.
Problem 1) We couldn’t get our mProjector apps to run on a PC. They would compile, but not run. And not even give the nice “Please go download adobe flash player” messages. We were getting the full blown windows error.
Turns out: we had installed flash player from firefox. This, apparently, is not the same thing as installing the flash player from internet explorer. Once we did that, we could run the applications.
Problem 2) We certainly didn’t want our clients running into the same issues. Solution is to include flash player with the build, right? Well, for some unknown reason, our app doesn’t like flash player 10.0.32.18 that comes bundled with mProjector. Opening this page in IE showed that we were running 10.1.53.64 (Note visiting that link in FF shows that were were running 10.0.32.18). But why couldn’t we choose that from the drop down?
Turns out: This one took a call to ScreenTime’s Jim Roberts. He pointed me in the direction of this folder on our PC:
C:\Program Files\mProjector 4\Flash Players\Win
Which has a bunch of .ocx files that correspond to the available flash players for inclusion in our projector. He said I should find a newer .ocx file and see how it works. With a little bit of searching I found this folder:
Which had a Flash10h.ocx file, which I copied to the mProjector flash players folder. After restarting mProjector, I was able to choose Flash10h as a included player, and the app built and launched fine.
Problem 3) The app is freaking slow-as-molasses on a PC! It’s speedy in the browser, speedy on my Mac, but on this PC it’s moving at about 0.5 fps.
Turns out: I hate this kind of stuff. I’m throwing in the towel here. If you have any insight into what we can do to speed this application up, please let me know.